“Very interesting book, but the grammar was driving me crazy. So many commas and semicolons where they don't belong.”
Sometimes it's suggestions are right on. I wrote "Not only does it introduce readers to you, but..." Grammarly suggested, "Not only does it introduce readers to you, but it also..."
Unclear antecedent is one of the more troubling errors. Grammarly doesn't like it when you start a statement with "they." It wants you to state who "they" are.
Sometimes it suggests you change words or phrases. It told me to use "more difficult," then a minute later it had me go back to "harder to read." Which one is right? Why the sudden change of mind?
- Turn Grammarly off when you write. It’s irritating to have your document light up in red and green while you’re writing. Edit when you finish writing.
- Edit small bites. I tend to enable Grammarly and go through a 200 or 300-page document all at once. Grammarly can’t handle it. It’s slow and clunky if you overload the interface.
- Word and Grammarly aren’t a perfect match. When you enable Grammarly, Word gets unstable. Often, I’m forced to dump the document I’m working on and restart Word. Sometimes it saves my document. Other times, it’s back to the drawing board. Lesson learned: Save your work often.
- Grammarly does not replace a human editor. It cleans up 80 percent of your document. The other 20 percent requires human intervention.